Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Wake Up Call

I thought I'd spend this warm afternoon laying by the pool. I put on my strapless bikini (no lines for the wedding in August) that I love, but I don't look as good in this summer as last - grr. I got all situated on the lounger outside and noticed a small red spot on my stomach. I thought it was a bug or something, but it wasn't coming off.

Some background: I am extremely fair and freckled. I wish I had taken after my mom with her lovely italian skin, but I didn't. I have always burned instead of tanned. I get more freckles every summer on my shoulders and arms. There are dark freckles I have to keep an eye on to make sure they don't turn into a health hazard. I should wear sunscreen every time I'm outside, but I don't. In late high school and early college I would go to the tanning bed for a month or two out of the year. Not exactly smart. Three years ago I decided to quit the tanning bed cold turkey and come to grips with the fact that I wasn't meant to be tan. This didn't mean that I swore off the sun as well. I'd wear sunscreen if I was going to be outside for a long time, but that isn't total protection. I got a pretty bad sunburn a year ago when Brian was home and we spent an entire afternoon in the pool. I knew it was bad, but I always wanted so badly to be "normal".

Today when I saw that red spot on my stomach - which may be nothing, but may be something - I knew it was a sign. Call it divine intervention, call it a gut reaction, call it whatever you want. I heard the universe yelling at me loud and clear: "Stop tempting fate, you do not want skin cancer!!"

From now on I will be super vigilant about my skin and sun health. No more sun bathing. I'm letting go of the social pressure to be tan. I'm pale, people, and I'm ok with that. I'm much too informed to make such bad decisions.

S.

No comments: