Today was my final run in the Couch-to-5K program. For the last 8 weeks I have consistently run 3 times a week - mostly on a MWF schedule. I've run in mist, clouds, and oppressive heat and humidity. I've run alone, with Brian and with my marathon-running father. It's been quite the journey for me.
Today was challenging for me. The temperature and humidity were more manageable, but I was rushing to get it done. The last 10 minutes were really hard. I had one of those annoying cramps in my side that I couldn't quite shake. If it wasn't my last run of this program, I very well may have stopped. I toughed it out and finished at right about the same distance as Wednesday. It wasn't an impressive performance, but it was another couple miles under my belt.
I've learned alot on this journey. I've learned a little bit about what my body is made of. I have pushed my body past boundaries I had been living within for so long. I learned all the ins and outs of my little neighborhood. I've learned where every stinkin hill is on my various loops. I noticed that more often than not I am alone on the sidewalks. I know the difference between running with and without stretching. I figured out what to eat for breakfast before running that wouldn't come back to bite me later. I learned that there is nothing more fulfilling that accomplishing a goal you set for yourself.
So, what happens now? Where do I go from here?
Right now my plan is to keep going. I'm not even close to completeing a 5K. I'm sure I could, but I wouldn't be able to run the entire thing. When I finally run my first 5K, I'm running the whole dang thing! Next week I plan to run a few 25 minute runs. I want to give my body a little break/reward so I'll knock 5 minutes off what I've been doing this week. I'm also hoping that with shorter runs I can build up my stamina and pace. Then the week after that I can take a crack at 30 minute runs again. I also hope to work in some light weight work and ab work at home on my days off from running. I had hoped to already have worked that in by now, but I've been relishing my lazy mornings when I'm not running. In 8 short weeks, this has become a part of my routine. It has been the easiest way for me to exercise and I don't plan on changing that anytime soon.
As for my reward for completing the program, I placed an order for some running gear from Target. I already have kick-ass shoes, but desperately needed some good shorts and bras. I tried uploading pics of everything I bought, but it's not cooperating and I don't feel like wasting all night fighting with it. I got a white classic sports bra, a black cami-style sports bra, pink mesh shorts, gray mesh shorts and black and white mesh shorts. I hope I ordered everything in the correct size and I cannot wait for it to get here! It'll be so nice to have some new stuff to run in.
So, guys, a big resounding THANK YOU for sticking with me through this. I know my blogging has been severely lacking and you're probably sick and tired of hearing me complain about running in Louisiana humidity. I'm grateful that no one has told me to shut up about it already and also for the encouraging words along the way. It's been quite the trip. This won't be the last you'll hear about my running journey, but I promise it won't be 3 times a week anymore.
Now, on this lazy Friday evening, Brian and I are going to stick in Charlie Wilson's War (opinions?) and call it a night.
S.
2 comments:
Yay for you!! You'll have to tell us how you like the new running gear. And we watched Charlie Wilson's War last night and loved it!
Words can't express how proud I am of you. Love you, M.
Post a Comment