I made the mistake of answering an unknown number call on the house phone earlier today. It was a guy from my bank. I let him talk for close to 5 minutes. He was telling me about some credit packet they'd be sending me that would go over my credit score and tell me how to make it better. It wasn't until the end that it became clear that they wanted to verify my name and address to send me some packet that I would then have to call to cancel the service ("even the same day you receive it" he told me) attached to it.
I asked the guy, "What if I don't want it mailed to me at all?"
He answered in an incredulous and annoyed tone, "Wh-Why wouldn't you want lower interest rates?"
I had been being nice up until then. I understand it's his job to call people like this, but when he answered me in that tone with that question, I kinda lost it a tad. I let him know, in no uncertain terms, that my interest rates are already as low as they can go, that I have never missed a payment, hell, I've never even left a balance on a credit card - I didn't need or want his big fancy packet.
This is the 3rd time I've answered these calls. Every time they want to give me something for free for a certain period of time and then it's up to me to call and cancel or they'll charge me. That's crap! I am not taking time out of my life to cancel something I know I don't want from the beginning. I always tell them I don't want it. The first time I say it they always try to argue with me - tell me that it's free blah blah blah. I always have to say it twice and then they'll rudely and quickly hang up when they figure out I'm serious.
I don't understand the rudeness. I'm sorry I'm not interested in your "product" or "service", but I have the right to refuse.
I told Brian to stop answering unknown numbers on the house phone.
I also told him "That is the reason I don't give out my cell phone number!"
We debated when we moved here about getting a house phone. We weren't going to get one until I looked into Skype and found I could get a local Louisiana number that goes through the computer for like $60 a year. Quite a deal, no?
Lessons learned:
1. Never answer unknown numbers on the house line.
2. Always have some landline/house number that can be put on "official" paperwork.
S.
4 comments:
Oh how annoying!!!
I hate those calls. Thankfully, I get very few of them. If only the person who had my phone before me would tell her friends her new dang number... *sigh* but it's better than my own bank trying to sell me something.
That's frustrating!!
Just found your blog and glad i did!!!
i love meeting new army wives!
One good thing about being here- If they call (they rarely do) I can just tell them I don't speak German. Maybe you should answer in Spanish! :)
Post a Comment