This is my 100th post in 2008. Let's all take a moment of silence to commemorate this event.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Ok, that's enough.
Today has been an exceedingly lazy day. I never got out of my pajamas and have been sitting right here in my bed with my computer all day. Why, you ask? Well, Brian of course. He's still recovering from getting a tooth pulled so he has ample computer time. We've been talking on AIM for almost 12 hours. I'm not really sure how we haven't run out of things to say. These days of long computer conversations can be a blessing and a curse. Sometimes we simply run out of things to talk about. He doesn't like talking about what's going on with him over there and I simply don't have much going on. Then there are days when we have so much to talk about that we get into sticky conversations about touchy subjects. I never like those conversations much no matter how important I may think they are when I start them. We both always end up unhappy. What are you supposed to do, though? When you disagree on something and you're both stubborn, how do you nicely and without hurt feelings talk through it? We struggle with that sometimes. I keep reminding myself that everything we are going through personally and in our relationship is magnified by our separation. It is harder to have a meaningful conversation on the computer than in person. We can't read each other's body language; we can only rely on our interpretation of the other's written word. We have gotten so much better at communicating since this all began. I can tell that we have both learned to be more patient and understanding. We still may disagree and even argue, but I am grateful that when he comes home and we learn to live with each other that we have this good base of communication that we can fall back on.
That was more than I intended to write about that.
Yesterday Mom and I went and checked out the Hilton Garden Inn in town. It's brand-spankin' new so we hadn't even checked out the inside yet. I knew they had a banquet room and with all the family from out of town I thought it would be a good place to have our reception next summer. The Sales people in charge of making our reservation were quite disorganized which worries me a bit, but they were super friendly. The hotel is really pretty inside, but not too upscale that I feel out of place. They do all the catering and provide the tables, chairs, and basic linens which means less for me to deal with! We went ahead and put down the deposit because it was only $200 and totally refundable if I back out. I am still struggling a little bit with the commitment to a place. The room wasn't as gorgeous as I would have hoped and it wasn't set up for a wedding so it's hard to picture. I think the room is a good size, though. It's not too big, but not too small. I am also brainstorming ideas for cute decorating ideas. They don't really want me doing anything to the walls so I'm trying to think of inexpensive ways to maybe lean things on the walls or do something to make it more wedding-y and less meeting room-y. I am also going to look into renting some linens to accent their linens. We also have not tried any of their food. They have dinner and breakfast there every day so we are going to have to eat there soon to check it out. The menus all sounded like they would be really good, but you never really know until you try it.
It's a load off my shoulders to know that even if I get nothing else done, I can still have my big wedding. I have a dress, a church, a photographer, and a reception place. I realize to make it perfect there are still other things to book, reserve, and order, but I've got the biggies out of the way.
I just got sidetracked looking up DJs and florists and thinking about decorating ideas...maybe I should end here.
S.
No comments:
Post a Comment