Two weeks ago buying a boat was simply an idea. Something we jokingly talked about. "Wouldn't that be fun?" we would say. At some point, though, we got serious. Brian's parents owed us money and we looked at our finances and started scouring craigslist. We realized we could easily make this happen.
About 10 days later, we were the owners of a 1989 Bayliner Capri. There were a few boats that fell through and we both got really frustrated with the craigslist offerings, but in the end we found one in our hometown that fit the bill. It also worked out that I was down there last week picking up more of my stuff from my parents' house so I could check the boat out with my dad and eventually make the deal.
My in-laws drove it up for us on Saturday and we went straight to the lake.
I was excited to see that it floated!
It even started relatively easily, but smack dab in the middle of the lake it died. I thought we'd have to be towed in or something. After a good 15 minutes she (I like to refer to the boat as a girl...) started up again. Brian drove around for a long time trying to work the old gas through the engine. By the end of the day she was running much better and wasn't trying to die every time we slowed down.
I found that I preferred the back-facing view. Sometimes I get too anxious if I can see what's coming (perceived waves and/or other boats). I'm a much better passenger when I'm clueless.
I even took a turn driving around. I was on boats quite a bit when I was little and I've always been comfortable on them and driving them. It was a perfect day - not too hot and overcast. Rain clouds eventually rolled in so we called it a day before we all got wet.
The boat is Brian's latest hobby. He is always looking up accessories and life jackets and parts on the internet. He loves the outdoors (hiking, camping, etc.) while I'm more of an indoor kinda girl. I think the boat is a good compromise for both of us. I love the water and he loves being active and outside. I'm excited about our boating adventures this summer!

No comments:
Post a Comment