Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Great-Grandma

My Great-Grandmother passed away tonight.

She was 98 or 99 - there is a bit of dispute about her birth year.

I wish I could say that we were close or that she was a fantastic loving person.
She was always kind of scary and quirky in reality.

She was born in Italy and came to America to marry a short Italian guy when she was 18.
They built a life, had 3 children and prospered.
She lived in her own home until last week when she fell and broke her hip.
She always thought everyone was out to get her and never trusted a soul.

We still pronounce words with her Italian accent.
Ricotta cheese will always be ri-gutt around here.

Mostly I feel bad for my grandfather, her son.
He has been taking care of her for years.
Maybe now he can relax a bit.

Now we wait to hear about funeral arrangements.
We're planning on going.
(It will take place in NY.)
Flights are outrageous and my mom hates to fly.
We'll see.

I just wanted a record of this somewhere.

Sorry for 3 posts in one day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you posted this, It really reminds me of when my great-grandmother passed away a couple years ago. We weren't that close either, but like you said, it's good to have a record of it somewhere. Hope your doing good girl!

tootie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your great grandmother. I hope your family is doing ok!