Friday, October 12, 2012

TGIF

Seriously, thank goodness it's Friday.

This week was long. The weather was funky: cold and cloudy on Monday all the way to a high of 85 today along with some random rain showers. A combination of germy kids, the weather, and allergies necessitated a sick day yesterday. I missed a good chunk of therapy hours, but the 3-hour nap was worth it. Although, I must say, the day went by way faster than I remember from when I was home all the time. Not fair!

If I expected today to be an easy day, then I was a fool. I only needed to make until my speech meeting at 1:30, then I'd be home free. Well, I was playing catch up all morning from my sick day and the speech meeting wasn't nearly as relaxing as I hoped it would be. And the cherry on top: I went solo to my first IEP meeting and dismissed the kiddo without incident. I felt like a badass. I only had about 90 minutes notice of this meeting and freaked out when I got the email. I really felt like he needed to be dismissed and I had only attended one IEP meeting prior to today. Plus, my supervisor (who I generally seek approval from for all of my feelings/ideas) has never seen this kid. When I called her she told me she trusted me and gave me a pep talk on how to handle myself in the meeting. I haven't worked up the courage yet to ask her point blank how I'm doing, but figure that no news is good news. Her trusting me is the closest thing to praise or approval I've gotten in the almost two months I've been doing this job. I needed that on a day like today. I also go a "Welcome to the Department" gift basket at the meeting. Lots of markers, post-its, and pens. How did they know I love office supplies?!

Next week is only three days long and marks the end of the first quarter. I have a bunch of work to do between now and then, but the promise of a 5-day weekend (and a haircut back home, finally!) should get me through.

After watching my Yankees beat the Orioles and win the ALDS, I am now settling in to listen to hometown high school football streaming on the internet. Here's to a relaxing weekend...



No comments: