Wednesday, February 29, 2012

OK-LA-HO-MA!

We made it! I should have probably gotten a post together yesterday, but, well, it was a looonnng day! We rolled in around 12:30, checked into the hotel, unloaded the traumatized cat, and immediately set out for the PX so Brian could get a haircut. After that we secured our storage unit (super friendly owners at the storage place!). We ate a late lunch/early dinner and spent 3 hours unloading the rental truck and packing it all into the storage unit. By the time we finished it was dark. I was in bed and asleep early last night!

We were up by 8 this morning (after I couldn't sleep from 4-6am - not fun!), got ourselves together, and ate breakfast. We got the rental truck weighed (empty weight) and turned in. The nice man at the truck turn-in place looked like he was off of Deadliest Catch. He didn't charge us for the extra day we had the truck - score! Also we have 4,700 pounds of belongings...that's kind of disturbing. Back to the room after that so Brian could throw his uniform on and go get the housing ball rolling (and start his 10-day leave before reporting to his new unit). He was told to expect a 3-5 months wait, so we reluctantly started the search for a temporary place to stay. We spent all afternoon calling and looking at apartments. We stopped for another late lunch/early dinner at Applebee's and to finally get Brian a new iPhone to replace the craptastic phone he's been using since getting home in October. After a million phone calls, we think we found a place. Brian's not to thrilled about the commute (15-20 minutes without traffic), but it is cheap, furnished, and in a decent neighborhood. Plus, they're letting us do a month-to-month lease so we can move into housing on post whenever it's available. We need to ask about included utilities and we want to try to look at the furniture they would be providing for us before signing anything. If we can get all of that taken care of tomorrow before noon we will be heading down to Texas for awhile. Hopefully it all works out because I'm about done with calling every apartment complex in town!

I guess that's it. So far I'm liking it here. It reminds me a lot of our hometown which probably helps. We've encountered really friendly people everywhere we've gone, too. I think we can be happy here. We'll see.



1 comment:

Hannah said...

Yaaaaay! Where in Oklahoma are you? I hope you love it! And good luck with finding housing-- hopefully something on base will open up for you soon.