Monday, May 24, 2010

The Lost Finale

*Don't read if you don't care. I needed to get this written out somewhere, and what better place then my blog. I promise I'll put the Lost talk to bed after this post.


I really didn't know that a work of fiction, played out on my computer and television screens, could have such a profound impact on me. I literally could not sleep last night. I would close my eyes and images from the finale, and really the entire season, would pop up on the inside of my eyelids. Throughout the first 2 hours of the finale, I thought I knew how it would end. It was being set up to conclude with a big happy bow on top. I really should have known better. That twist in the last 10 minutes, really threw me for a loop. In retrospect, it's not such a large wrench they threw in there. In many ways it makes sense, I just wasn't looking for it. It changes everything about the entire final season. I can't stop going back through the last 17 episodes and trying to connect the dots. How much did I miss because I wasn't looking for it? Isn't this how every season has ended, though? Isn't that what makes the show so superb?


Last night when the final scene went to black, I felt confused, cheated, speechless and upset. I had to laugh at Jimmy Kimmel, mull it over all night and finally re-watch the end to finally see the beauty in it. Those 2 1/2 hours of television were complete and total magic. Until that twist I didn't see coming, I was prepared to dub the episode the most perfect 2 1/2 hours of television. Much like the show itself, I've almost come full circle since last night. I had to open my eyes, take it in, digest it and I can now say that the finale was pretty darn near perfect. I have no doubt that by the time I have the complete series (on blu-ray!) in my hot little hands in 3 months, I will be totally convinced that the finale was perfection. ((The series comes out 2 days before my birthday - perfect, no?))


I definitely need a detox period from Lost. Let's not forget that I watched the entire series in less than 3 weeks. Most of it in less than 2. I have to step away...for my own sanity. I actually feel depressed today. Seriously, Sarah, there's more in your life than a television show!


Luckily, alot is happening around here in the next few months. Starting tomorrow, my butt is getting in gear and getting ready for our big summer vacay. We start our journey Friday morning! Between now and then I have a fair amount of packing and cleaning to do. Will any of it get done today? Highly doubtful.


Maybe retail therapy will help this Lost finale hangover...


2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I felt the same way about the finale. At first I was a little disappointed, but the more I thought about it the more I realized how great it really was.

tootie said...

I know what you mean! I had a hard time sleeping last night after the finale.

Even though there are still a billion more questions I'd like answered, the finale was beautiful in the sense that the Lost characters we've come to love have finally found their peace.

If you find a cure for the Lost hangover, let me know :)